I’m making my income reports, including traffic numbers, public. That way, anyone thinking of starting something similar can see real world numbers. There are a lot of other sites sharing their income, so why does the world need another one?
I’m sharing the figures from month 1, which isn’t that common. Also, I can’t see many income reports from mobile app developers. So I’m hoping that this is something unique.
My hope is that these reports will inspire someone else to try something themselves. Please let me know if you think I can improve them. I’m always looking for ways to improve.
January has been a funny month. I successfully managed to get something on CodeCanyon, but I didn’t achieve much else. Unfortunately real life got in the way and most of my energy was spent trying to find a job.
I made “good” progress on Hangman, but it’s not ready to be released to the outside world.
This is the second part of my dev diary building hangman in React Native.
In part one I looked at the “competition” and created a simple prototype . It was more of a still image with what I was roughly aiming for, but that’s ok. In this part, I’m going show the progress I’ve made so far, the new things I’ve learned and what’s next.
Sign-Up To Get the Code
As with all of my games, I release the source code. It’s yours to do with whatever you like.
Want to re-skin the app and publish it in the app store feel free. I’d love to hear how you use my stuff.
Only those who sign-up to my Game Development mailing list will get the code.
Progress So Far
I have so far concentrated on getting the layout and game functional. It’s not pretty, but the player can:
Start a new game
See how many lives they have left
Lose the game
Win the game
Start a new game
See for yourself:
Hangman Functional Animated Gif
What’s more, all these features work in both the Android version (above) and the web version. Try the HTML 5 version of Hangman for yourself.
React Native uses flexbox so I had no choice to use that for my last app, but I’d not used it much for a web app. Rather than worry about older browsers, I just went for it this time.
Most of the styles from the React Native app ported straight across. For others, it was a simple case of swapping “justify-content” for “align-items” and adding a “display: flex”.
The top level component in my last react native app ended up with a big “if…else if….else if….” block at the top. It worked, but wasn’t particularly flexible. I also couldn’t get the android back button to work.
After some research, it sounded like I needed to use Navigator. As that’s been deprecated, I switched to NavigationExperimental.